Sixty-five years ago, Mental Health America created May is Mental Health Month to raise awareness about mental illnesses and the importance of mental wellness for all. We look forward to sharing information about how mental wellness is central to overall health and well-being.
A healthy lifestyle and its preventive factors benefit both the mind and body!
• Mental health is integral to our overall health. The mind and body are intricately connected; there can be “no health without mental health.”
• When a person has “good” mental health, they deal better with what comes their way.
• Poor mental health can significantly harm a person’s general health.
• Stress has a huge impact on our lives and can make even day-to-day life difficult. Research shows that stress is closely linked to high blood pressure, heart disease and obesity. It also shows that people who feel depressed or chronically stressed may have a greater risk of physical illnesses.
• The good news is there are many healthy choices and steps that individuals can adopt to promote and strengthen mental health—and overall health and well-being.
• A healthy lifestyle can help to prevent the onset or worsening of depression, anxiety and other mental health conditions, as well as heart disease, diabetes, obesity and other chronic health problems. It can also help people recover from these conditions.
• Everyone can take steps to protect and strengthen their minds and bodies.
• Living a healthy lifestyle may not be easy, but can be achieved by gradually making small changes and building on those successes.
• If positive lifestyle changes aren’t helping a person’s mental health – they should seek help, and the caring staff at Mental Health Centers of Central Illinois are here to lend a helping hand!
Find out more about how you can Mind Your Health!